Student claiming robbery arrested for falsifying report
University Police (UP) arrested a female student early Wednesday evening for "false report of commission of crimes," according to a Hillsborough County Jail report.
Fatou Gueye, 19, reported to UP on Tuesday evening that two white men in their early 20s had followed her through the MLK Plaza toward the Interdisciplinary Science Building before attempting to engage her in conversation. They then grabbed her backpack, which caused her necklace to fall off, according to UP. She described one suspect as having shoulder-length blond hair and wearing a white shirt with khaki shorts, and the other as having blond hair and wearing gray sweatpants with a dark blue shirt, according to UP. Police reported that all of the victim's property was recovered at the scene.
UP said that during follow-up interviews, Gueye's story wasn't adding up and she later admitted she "falsely reported the crime and no robbery occurred."
Gueye is one of a group of four students who reported receiving threatening messages inside their residence hall on election night stating that if Democrat Hillary Clinton won there would be death, according to UP. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
In an email sent out to the campus Thursday, the University Communications and Marketing department said, "initial details indicate that several of these incidents may have been fabricated."
Gueye posted $500 bond just after midnight, according to the jail report.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program