Student claiming robbery arrested for falsifying report
University Police (UP) arrested a female student early Wednesday evening for "false report of commission of crimes," according to a Hillsborough County Jail report.
Fatou Gueye, 19, reported to UP on Tuesday evening that two white men in their early 20s had followed her through the MLK Plaza toward the Interdisciplinary Science Building before attempting to engage her in conversation. They then grabbed her backpack, which caused her necklace to fall off, according to UP. She described one suspect as having shoulder-length blond hair and wearing a white shirt with khaki shorts, and the other as having blond hair and wearing gray sweatpants with a dark blue shirt, according to UP. Police reported that all of the victim's property was recovered at the scene.
UP said that during follow-up interviews, Gueye's story wasn't adding up and she later admitted she "falsely reported the crime and no robbery occurred."
Gueye is one of a group of four students who reported receiving threatening messages inside their residence hall on election night stating that if Democrat Hillary Clinton won there would be death, according to UP. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
In an email sent out to the campus Thursday, the University Communications and Marketing department said, "initial details indicate that several of these incidents may have been fabricated."
Gueye posted $500 bond just after midnight, according to the jail report.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses