Student claiming robbery arrested for falsifying report
University Police (UP) arrested a female student early Wednesday evening for "false report of commission of crimes," according to a Hillsborough County Jail report.
Fatou Gueye, 19, reported to UP on Tuesday evening that two white men in their early 20s had followed her through the MLK Plaza toward the Interdisciplinary Science Building before attempting to engage her in conversation. They then grabbed her backpack, which caused her necklace to fall off, according to UP. She described one suspect as having shoulder-length blond hair and wearing a white shirt with khaki shorts, and the other as having blond hair and wearing gray sweatpants with a dark blue shirt, according to UP. Police reported that all of the victim's property was recovered at the scene.
UP said that during follow-up interviews, Gueye's story wasn't adding up and she later admitted she "falsely reported the crime and no robbery occurred."
Gueye is one of a group of four students who reported receiving threatening messages inside their residence hall on election night stating that if Democrat Hillary Clinton won there would be death, according to UP. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
In an email sent out to the campus Thursday, the University Communications and Marketing department said, "initial details indicate that several of these incidents may have been fabricated."
Gueye posted $500 bond just after midnight, according to the jail report.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- A bond between brothers
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum