NOTEBOOK: Two Bulls enter transfer portal

Kirk Rygol (center) announced Tuesday he was entering the transfer portal. He played five games for the Bulls. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Two USF football players ⁠— quarterback Kirk Rygol and wide receiver Zion Roland entered the NCAA transfer portal this week.

Rygol announced his intention to transfer via Twitter on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/youngking_kj/status/1260300745087295496?s=20

Rygol transferred from ASA College, Brooklyn in 2018 as a walk-on. He took 33 snaps in five games last season.

Rivals first reported Roland’s decision to enter the transfer portal on Thursday.

Roland was the second-ranked recruit in former head coach Charlie Strong’s first full recruiting Class of 2018. Roland, a Tampa native, graduated from Admiral Farragut Academy and was ranked the No. 621 overall player in the Class of 2018.

Roland played seven games his freshman year and recorded a career-high of three receptions for 39 yards against Houston on Oct. 27, 2018. He mostly played defensive back in 2019 and tallied four total tackles in seven games.

Corrick named to CoSIDA First Team

USF softball pitcher Georgina Corrick on Thursday was named to the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Division I Academic All-District First Team for District 4.

CoSIDA offers awards and scholarships to student-athletes who are recognized for their achievements on the field and in the classroom. 

The District 4 nominees are selected out of a pool of athletes represented in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and South Carolina. The nominees are required to have a GPA that exceeds a 3.30 while being a starter or significant reserve for their team. 

Despite the shortened season, Corrick led the Bulls with a 1.29 ERA and tallied 127 strikeouts in 97.1 innings. She tied the USF single-game record strikeout record with 18 against Wisconsin on March 7.

Corrick, along with the first-team nominees, will advance to the CoSIDA Academic All-America ballot, which will be announced June 8-11.

Texas coaching staff cleared to return to campus

With USF Football scheduled to face Texas on Sept. 5, the Longhorns’ coaching staff was cleared to return to campus starting Monday, according to Texas Rivals’ Anwar Richardson.

USF is preparing to resume activities this fall, but operations can only resume once the transmission of coronavirus has diminished, according to an email sent out by Provost Ralph Wilcox on Wednesday.

Abiding by the university protocols, USF coach Jeff Scott is continuing virtual team gatherings on Mondays at 10 a.m. consisting of coaches, players and staff. Players meet online with their position coaches on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 10 a.m, while Wednesday mornings are reserved for the offensive and defensive coordinators to meet with their respective units, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

Players are also encouraged to continue training at home and are given workouts that are posted on Instagram. Scott said the training is not mandatory, but players are given a password-protected interactive playbook and quizzed on the plays weekly, ESPN reported in March.