Football brief: Flowers makes XFL debut, while Wilcox invited to NFL Combine

Quinton Flowers made his XFL debut Sunday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/USF ATHLETICS

At long last, Quinton Flowers is playing professional football.

The former Bulls quarterback, who spent time on the Cincinnati Bengals’ practice squad in 2018, made his XFL debut in the new spring league’s opening weekend.

Flowers, officially listed as a QB/RB on the Tampa Bay Vipers’ roster, appeared both as a rusher and passer in the Vipers’ 23-3 loss to the New York Guardians on Sunday.

Flowers rushed five times for 34 yards with a long of 15, while he was 1-of-2 passing — though the one completion was for 37 yards, which set up the Vipers’ only score of the game.

While at USF from 2014-2017, the Miami native set 42 career, season or game records and was the career leader in total offense, both at USF and in the AAC. He also holds the record for most rushing yards by a quarterback at a Florida FBS school, surpassing Florida’s Tim Tebow by 725 yards in 12 fewer games.

——

USF will have representation in Indianapolis later this month.

Now former Bulls tight end Mitchell Wilcox has been invited to participate in the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine, which runs from Feb. 24-March 1 at Lucas Oil Stadium. Tight ends work out Feb. 27 and the entire Combine will be broadcast in prime time on NFL Network.

Wilcox is one of 20 tight ends and just five from non Power Five schools (including two from the AAC) to receive an invite to the Combine.

Expected to be taken in the mid-to-late rounds in April’s NFL Draft, Wilcox finished his USF career 11th all-time in program history in receptions (100), 10th all-time in reception yards (1,326) and first all-time for receptions by a tight end (43) and reception yards by a tight end (540).

The Tarpon Springs native also participated in last month’s East-West Shrine Bowl at Tropicana Field, making one catch for 9 yards, while also lining up on special teams coverage, including as long snapper.