Fading out ‘new’ academic logo

The transition to the “Iconic Bull U” will take place throughout the next several months until the former logo is completely phased out. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

After spending almost $1 million in marketing initiatives with the infamous lime-green academic logo, USF is one step closer to completing the switch to the “Iconic Bull U” athletics logo.

Last month, USF removed  the old signage from the new Morsani College of Medicine in downtown Tampa.

It cost approximately $58,000 to remove the old signage and install the new “Bull U” signage on the USF Health building downtown, according to Media Relations Manager Althea Paul.

The new signage of the “Iconic Bull U” was installed on the north side of the building, according to Paul. The replacement of the south side signage, however, it still yet to take place.

In an email to The Oracle, Paul said that the transition to the “Iconic Bull U” will take place throughout the next several months until the former logo is completely phased out.

“Removing the signage from the building downtown is another step in the process of fully implementing the “Iconic Bull U” logo,” Paul said.

The signage on the north side, which includes Bull U with letters that say “University of South Florida,” is 10 feet tall and 32 feet wide while the south signage is 12 feet tall and 63 feet wide. Each structure weighs approximately 450 lbs.

Vice President of Communications and Marketing Joe Hice was not available for comment.

The university announced through an email in May the surrendering of its lime-green bull design, after being in effect for nearly eight months.

Included in the email, the existing athletics association logo was announced to represent the entire university, amid criticism among current students and alumni.

Throughout the summer, students and members of the USF community were able to see the old logo gradually fade away around campus with the replacement of the light posts, banners and merchandise.

According to Paul, removing the signage from the building downtown is another step in the process of fully implementing the “Iconic Bull U” logo.

“We are continuing to make the transition to the “Iconic Bull U”, which will take place throughout the next several months until the former logo is completely phased out,” Paul said.