Sanders to join Gillum for second on-campus campaign event in as many weeks

Last week, Gillum campaigned with former Vice President Joe Biden and others. This week, he will be joined by Bernie Sanders (D) at the Fowler Fields on Wednesday afternoon. ORACLE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

Bernie Sanders, the Independent-turned-Democrat who ran a grassroots campaign for president in 2016, will join Tallahassee Mayor and gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum for an Early-Vote Rally on Wednesday.

The event has been moved from Fowler Fields and will now take place in Campus Recreation, beginning at 2 p.m.

The Yuengling Center serves as an early-voting location, where those registered in Hillsborough County can cast their ballots through Nov. 4.

Gillum and Sanders share certain ideals, such as the belief in abolishing the federal agency Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Gillum campaigned on campus last week with former Vice President Joe Biden and Florida’s other Democratic candidates, including Sen. Bill Nelson.

At the event last week, Gillum stressed the importance of voting to the crowd of students and community members.

“If you care about the future of this state, it is not enough for us to just be here shouting about it, to tweet about it, to Facebook about it, to complain about it,” Gillum said. “We have to get out there and vote like our lives depend on it — because our lives do depend on it.”