USF women’s soccer stays undefeated at home in 4-0 win against ECU

Rebekah Anderson (17) reacts to her first career goal Sunday at Corbett Stadium. Andrerson’s goal proved to be the game-winner in USF’s 4-0 defeat of East Carolina. 
ORACLE PHOTO/BRIAN HATTAB

USF women’s soccer found its offensive groove Sunday afternoon, defeating ECU 4-0 at Corbett Stadium.

Midfielder Andrea Hauksdottir led the way for the Bulls (8-2, 3-1), scoring two goals within two minutes of each other. Hauksdottir’s goals, her second and third of the season, came off a free kick in the 55th minute and off an assist from forward Leah Ferlin in the 56th minute.

“I’m not the one who scores the goals, but I’m really happy I got two goals in today,” Hauksdottir said. “But it was all about the team win, so I’m really proud of the team.”

The game was scoreless until the 44th minute when junior defender Rebekah Anderson scored  her first career goal to put the Bulls up 1-0. She scored from inside the six-yard box after a cross from Sydny Nasello.

“I’m not going to lie, I was kind of shocked,” Anderson said. “I was not expecting it and I looked up and it was in. So it was really exciting for me. The first goal in three years, so it’s kind of a big deal.”

Evelyne Viens recorded the Bulls’ fourth goal of the afternoon in the 77th minute. Viens’ goal was her 41st career goal, tying her with Siri Nordby (1997-2000) for most all-time goals in program history.

USF outshot ECU 20-6, with 10 of the shots being on target. With 40 percent of their shots on goal finding the back of the net, the Bulls were pleased with their effort.

“It’s something we’ve been working on for weeks,” Anderson said. “We’ve been practicing our crosses, practicing our finishing, so I think it’s good that everyone as a team today came up and scored some goals.”

Hauksdottir echoed her teammate’s sentiments.

“We knew we had to be patient and keep shooting and some of them would go in,” Hauksdottir said.

ECU was only able to record two shots on goal — one in the first half against starting goalkeeper Sydney Martinez and one in the second half against Rikki Farquharson, who came into the game in the 60th minute.

The win helps USF keep pace with Memphis atop the AAC table, with the Bulls still three points behind the Tigers, who defeated SMU on Sunday.

Coming up next for USF is its final road trip of the regular season. The Bulls take on Tulsa on Thursday and Memphis on Sunday.  With the season winding down and the top of the table cramped, every game matters.

“It’s huge,” Anderson said. “Every game in conference is a big game. We want to win every single game and host [the AAC tournament] here, so we’re going to take it as serious as we can.”