Opening date of on-campus Publix supposedly determined

The expected opening date for the on-campus Publix is set for the end of next fall semester, according to sources familiar with the construction of this location. ORACLE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

Students will have to wait a little longer for their chicken tender subs as the opening date of the on-campus Publix may still be eight months away.

The targeted opening date for the USF Publix is Dec. 6, according to sources familiar with the construction of this location. This date happens to be the last day of final exams for the fall semester.

Adam Freeman, a spokesman for USF, could not confirm this date and said questions should be directed to Publix.

Brian West, the media and community relations manager for Publix, was not able to be reached for comment by 9:30 p.m. Wednesday. 

This location was originally expected to be completed in late 2017, but there were delays in the construction for undisclosed reasons.

According to the USF’s facilities management website, the west portion of Lot 16 has been closed since Dec. 11 and temporary lane closures may occur due to the Publix construction. 

The university made an agreement with Publix in late 2015 for a 20-year stay on campus with six potential five-year renewals which could possibly increase the total stay to 50 years.

Publix will pay USF $130,000 every year to rent the land on the corner of Fletcher Avenue and North Palm Drive, resulting in USF having no financial obligation.