Report: Wichita State likely to join AAC

Wichita State has established itself as a perennial contender in men's basketball, and may likely join the AAC this weekend. 
SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Wichita State and the AAC are in serious talks about the Shockers joining the conference, beginning in the fall of 2017.

The Shockers would join the conference in all sports except for football, leaving the Missouri Valley Conference entirely.

The AAC presidents have the final vote on whether Wichita State is admitted, and will make their decision by the end of the weekend.

A source told Sports Illustrated that it’s extremely likely that the Shockers will be admitted.

The Shockers basketball program is one of the most consistent in that nation, making an NCAA tournament appearance the past five seasons, producing a 31-5 record last year.

USF men’s golf captures Old Waverly title

The Bulls captured their first tournament win of the season in dominating fashion.

In a field of 80 golfers, all five Bulls who participated in the event finished in the top-20, leading USF to victory at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship on Tuesday in West Point, Mississippi.

The Bulls finished six strokes ahead of the next finisher, Lipscomb University, and were able to secure the win despite having no individuals finish in the top three.

“It was a complete team effort today; everybody was in it. It was really the first time this year we’ve had that go on,” coach Steve Bradley told GoUSFBulls.com. 

“I think this is the first time in the last three years we’ve had a team win without an individual winner. That just showed you what a team effort it was, everybody contributed.”

Gregory adds familiar face to staff

USF announced the hiring of Tom Herrion on Wednesday, finalizing new coach Brian Gregory’s staff.

Herrion, previously a head coach at Marshall and the College of Charleston was officially hired on Wednesday morning as the Bulls third, and final assistant on staff.

Gregory and Herrion most recently coached together at Georgia Tech from 2014-2016, with Herrion in the same role that he’ll serve at USF.

“I’m excited to have a coach of Tom’s caliber and experience join our staff at USF,” Gregory said. “Tom is a great teacher of the game, motivator, and highly successful recruiter. He also adds a new dimension as someone who has been a successful head coach at the highest level.”

To go along with numerous NIT and NCAA tournament appearances, Herrion won the NIT last season with Texas Christian University as a special assistant.

USF football kickoff set for season opener

The Bulls will begin their 2017 campaign at San Jose State in a primetime matchup.

Slated to start at 7:30 p.m.  (ET) Aug. 26, the game will be aired on CBS Sports Network, and will be the Bulls first of three primetime TV appearances in 2017.

Entering the game, the Bulls are currently ranked No. 19 in the AP Top 25 Poll, and are riding a five game win streak dating back to last October.