Strong announces Childs has been dismissed from team

USF safety Hassan Childs was still in the hospital as of Monday, but Strong said Childs is expected to make a full recovery. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

USF safety Hassan Childs has been dismissed from the team following his involvement in a road-rage incident at a Tampa apartment complex Sunday, the school confirmed.

The incident, which resulted in Childs, 22, getting shot multiple times in the arm and upper torso, occurred after Childs allegedly pointed a gun at 26-year-old Jovanni Jimenez.

“I had a chance to speak with him,” Strong told The Tampa Bay Times. “They all want to continue and go play, and he was a senior, but he totally understood.”

Childs was still in the hospital as of Monday, but Strong said Childs is expected to make a full recovery.

Childs is charged with three counts of aggravated assault and a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession. The Hillsborough Stat Attorney’s Office has yet to decide if charges will be filed against Jimenez.

According to The Times, Strong met with the team and discussed the incident.

“When you look at this university and how great an institution it is, and the football program, it is a privilege to represent this program,” Strong said. “And there are standards and there are values that we uphold, and our players understand it is an obligation and it is a responsibility to represent it the right way.”