Strong hires WVU defensive backs coach

USF coach Charlie Strong added another coach familiar with Florida when he hired former WVU defensive backs coach Blue Adams.
ORACLE FILE PHOTO

Once again, Charlie Strong has brought aboard a coach with Florida ties. 

Strong acted quickly to fill the vacancy in his coaching staff created when Corey Bell left for Florida over the weekend by hiring former West Virginia defensive backs coach Blue Adams, according to reports. 

Adams, 37, grew up in Florida and was a Miami Dolphins coach for five years, making the opening at USF appealing. 

In his only season at WVU, Adams helped lead the Mountaineers to the second best pass defense in the Big 12 and a 10-3 record. 

Fitts named AAC rookie of the week

Following a week in which he scored 29 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in an 85-75 loss against Memphis, freshman forward Malik Fitts was named the conference rookie of the week. 

Despite the strong performance from Fitts against the Tigers, he followed up with just six points and six rebounds in a loss against Temple on Sunday. 

Through 22 games, the 6-foot-8, 237-pound forward is averaging 7.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. 

USF women’s basketball falls to No. 22 

No. 22 USF women’s basketball fell for only the second time in AAC play this season when it was upset by Memphis 62-57 on Sunday.

The loss dropped the Bulls from No. 20 to No. 22 in the latest AP poll and into a tie for second in the AAC with Temple.

Only able to rotate seven players due to injuries, the Bulls (18-4, 7-2) trailed by nine with just over five minutes held off USF’s late rally by holding them to 5-of-24 from three point range.

Maria Jespersen led all Bulls’ players in points and rebounds, with 20 points and eight boards. The Tigers had three starters finish in double figures.

The Bulls remain on the road, traveling to East Carolina on Feb. 8.