USF assistant leaves for Florida

Mere days after completing his first recruiting class as a USF assistant, former Bulls secondary coach Corey Bell is leaving the school for a position at Florida. 

Bell, who coached at two Miami high schools and FAU, helped USF reel in a trio of three-star players from state champion Carol City on National Signing Day. 

With the departure of Bell, Strong will have three coaches left to hire. 

Spring practices begin March 6. 

Men’s Basketball  losing skid hits 11

Despite the return of leading scorer Geno Thorpe, USF’s losing streak continued on Sunday in Philadelphia, as the Bulls fell to Temple, 83-74.

Led by guard Daniel Dingle, who scored 22 points including a career-high six 3-pointers, the Owls jumped out to a 46-23 halftime lead. 

The Bulls will look to avoid losing their 12th straight game when they travel to play at UConn on Wednesday. 

Track and field has 10  top three finishes 

USF track and field had 10 athletes finish in the top three in their respective competitions at the Villanova Invitational over the weekend. 

Seniors Michael Babinec and Bernicia Holifield not only won their events, but approached school records while doing so. 

Babinec’s 8:25.89 finish in the 3000m was good for the second fastest in USF history while Holifield won the weight throw with a personal record of 61-feet 3-inches, good for third-best in school history. 

The Bulls will compete at the Hoosier Hills in Bloomington, Indiana, from March 17-18.