Report: USF eyes new deal to stay at Raymond James Stadium

USF has made Raymond James Stadium its home since the team's inception in 1997. ORACLE FILE PHOTO

Questions over where USF will play its home football games may be put on hold for the time being. 

Though USF continues with its feasibility project for an on-campus stadium, the school intends to agree to a deal with the Tampa Sports Authority (TSA) that will keep the Bulls playing their home games in Raymond James Stadium for the next six years, according to a report from the Tampa Bay Times. 

The proposed deal still must be approved by the TSA and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before being presented to USF. The draft is on Tuesday’s agenda for the TSA executive committee, according to the Times. 

The contract is for six years with a five-year option that includes a termination clause that requires at least a two-year notice in advance. 

USF won’t be required to pay rental fees in the deal, but will pay the TSA actual costs associated with games. For games in which USF uses the lower bowl and two club lounges with less than 24,000 in attendance, the school will pay $172,000. Games eclipsing 24,000 participants will cause the game fee to escalate to $185,000, according to the TSA. 

In the agreement, USF must play at least six games at Raymond James Stadium in TSA’s fiscal year. A seventh home game will benefit USF with 20 percent of combined TSA revenue and the net of license fees and other event related expenses. The Bulls are scheduled to play seven games at Raymond James in 2017. 

When it comes to filling the stadium, USF will be responsible for selling the tickets and will have to pay the TSA a ticket surcharge equal to 8 percent of the price of tickets sold, not to exceed $2.50 per ticket.