Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year

USF quarterback Quinton Flowers broke several school records in 2016 on his way to winning the AAC Offensive Player of the Year Award. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

Quinton Flowers continues to make history as a Bull. 

The junior quarterback became the first player in USF history to win a conference offensive  player of the year honor behind a regular season in which he accounted for just under 4,000 total yards and 37 touchdowns.

Flowers was the only player in the conference to both throw for over 2,000 yard and rush for 1,000 as well. 

Flowers was also joined by junior running back Marlon Mack and senior offensive tackle Kofi Amichia on the all-conference first team. Bulls selected to the all-conference second team were senior receiver Rodney Adams, senior offensive guard Dominique Threatt and redshirt freshman tight end Mitchell Wilcox. 

Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo was named AAC Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season, with the Midshipmen clinching the West Division title. 

UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin won the conference’s defensive player of the year honors with a season that included 11 sacks, 19 tackles for loss, two fumbles and an interception. 

Oregon reaches out to Taggart 

Speculation into coach Willie Taggart’s future with USF came about Wednesday afternoon when reports began surfacing that linked the fourth-year Bulls coach to the coaching vacancy at Oregon. 

Various reports from ESPN and Fox Sports began circulating Wednesday afternoon suggesting Taggart was a “strong candidate” for the open position at Oregon following the firing of Mark Helfrich. 

Taggart is under contract with USF through 2020 and would owe the school $1.7 million as a buyout if he were to leave for another school.