Trump refuses to participate in upcoming debate

Presidential Nominee Donald Trump and Fox News anchor/debate moderator Megyn Kelly. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE.

Tuesday, Donald Trump announced he would be boycotting today’s scheduled GOP debate after Fox chose Megyn Kelly to participate as one of the moderators. 

Trump and Kelly have been bickering since the first Republican primary when Kelly grilled Trump on the many derogatory statements he’d made in the past regarding women. 

“Your Twitter account has several disparaging comments about women’s looks,” Kelly told Trump. “You once told a contestant on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president?”  

In response, Trump simply replied the U.S. was too worried about being politically correct and he didn’t have time for that. The majority of viewers backed Kelly’s stance, which Trump, five months later, is still sore about.

Fox stuck by their journalist and refused to cave to Trump, despite the threat of lower viewers and thus a lower profit. The network chose to stand for democracy over making a profit. By defending Kelly Fox made it clear they refused to be bullied into submission.

Today’s debate will be the last GOP debate before the Iowa Caucus, which makes Trump’s boycott even more outrageous. How are voters supposed to respond to a major candidate abandoning the stage like a child who didn’t get to play on the team they wanted at recess? 

The job of president is never going to be an easy one. The president constantly has to work with people he or she doesn’t get along with, and Trump is proving he isn’t up for the task. 

Trump announced he would be holding a fundraiser in Iowa at the same time as the debate that will benefit veterans and wounded soldiers in an attempt to draw viewers from the event. 

Apparenly, Trump believes voters will forgive his pettiness because he is dedicating the time he should be defending his policies against his contending candidates to a good cause. 

Unfortunately for him, voters aren’t as dense as he hopes. 

If Trump truly felt compelled to aid veterans, he would make an effort to do so, regardless of the debate. Scheduling a fundraiser at the same time is spiteful and conceited. 

If Trump cared about his party, he would want potential voters to be well-versed on the issues and each candidate’s stance so they could see why he is the best fit for president. 

Instead, Trump is attempting to draw viewers away from the debate, which will only hurt the Republican Party. Constituents need to be united in the upcoming election or they will undoubtedly lose. 

Dividing the party ensures its failure. 

Kelly may have been harsh on Trump, but she was equally blunt with every other candidate. Perhaps, if Trump hadn’t spent his career isolating female voters, he wouldn’t be in this situation.

That uncomfortable feeling in your chest isn’t acid reflex, Mr. Trump. It’s guilt. 

Instead of retaliating like a pouting toddler, act your age and join your fellow candidates on stage.

Breanne Williams is a junior majoring in mass communications.