A student’s guide to eating healthy on campus

Finding healthy eats is a constant struggle for college students. 

Whether students are starting a new semester resolution to live a healthier lifestyle or simply searching for a better bite to eat on campus, USF’s dining halls and restaurants offer numerous  food options to keep bulls healthy. 

Regarding dining halls on campus, Fresh Food Company, Champion’s Choice and Juniper Dining all offer healthy choices. When looking to start the day with a nutritious breakfast, these dining halls all offer oatmeal along with egg white and veggie omelets. 

These are just two of the options available that have a balance, fiber- and protein-packed breakfast. Champion’s Choice is popular among fitness fanatics and is appropriately located across from the campus gym.

While the toppings available at salad bars may seem like obvious choices, Fresh Food Company and Juniper Dining’s “Peace of Mind” stations offer a stir-fry option which is in popular demand among health enthusiasts. 

Abiding by USF Dining’s Healthy for Life program, this station offers seasonal Florida produce, gluten-free grains and flavorful sauces made in house. A tip when choosing the stir fry station is to substitute olive oil for water, which cuts down calories without sacrificing flavor. 

Jamba Juice is another healthy hot spot on campus. With options ranging from acai energy bowls to veggie green smoothies, Jamba Juice is the ideal healthy snack or light lunch. Jamba Juice can be found in the Marshall Student Center and located within Champions Choice, housing fresh fruit smoothies for bulls after their workouts. 

Whether it’s grabbing a fresh fruit smoothie, dabbling in the dining halls’ healthy food choices such as quinoa and brown rice, or eating fresh at Cooper Hall’s Subway, USF provides healthy options for every bull. 

Download the smart phone app Campus Dish for menu and nutrition information, dining hall hours and calorie counts for each dining option on campus.