Internship fair brings employers to campus

Today, USF Career Services is holding an employment fair just in time for the back-to-school job rush. 

The Internship and Part-Time Job Fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom. 

According to Ashley Motley, Career Services assistant director of student employment, this will be the last time internships and part-time jobs will be offered in the same fair. Motley also said this will be the only part-time job fair until April. 

Business casual attire is preferred but not required. According to Motley, there will be no attire check-in.

Despite the suggested dress code, the tone for this Week of Welcome (WOW) event is more relaxed than other employment fairs planned for later in the semester. 

The event is taking place during WOW to attract students to Career Services at an earlier point in their college careers, according to Lynn Chisholm, Career Services director of internships. Motley said the fair is “a warm-up fair” due to its more open, “less-intimidating” atmosphere. 

Sixty-four businesses are slotted to appear at the fair, including Target, Ross, Moffitt Cancer Center, Aramark, Accent Health and Ashley Furniture Homestore.

Although many services offered by the fair are also available online through Employ-a-Bull, Chisholm said the real-life experience of an employment fair is valuable for students. She also said Employ-a-Bull is a good way to follow-up after positive conversations with employers at the fair. 

“Students need lots of opportunity talking to employers. The fair is good for practicing their elevator speeches and introductions,” she said.

Chisholm also said the job fair is a good opportunity for “informational interview(s),” which allow the student to discover which companies speak to their employment needs.

“We want students to begin the college year with the end in mind,” Chisholm said. “We want to be in front of students early on.”

Career Services will offer  job fairs for full-time positions and internships in September.