USF held scoreless in rematch at No. 1 UF

Pitcher Erica Nunn started for the Bulls, but was pulled after giving up three runs in the first inning. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/
SEBASTIAN CONTENTO

The rematch against defending national champion Florida didn’t go as the Bulls would have liked Wednesday, as they were defeated 7-0. After falling behind early on at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium in Gainesville, there was no getting back in contention for USF. 

Following a strong showing, even holding a lead over the No. 1 Gators in their previous meeting this season, the Bulls (32-13) couldn’t manage to get a run on the board as UF came out swinging and never looked back.

USF pitcher Erica Nunn started the game for the Bulls, but didn’t see much game time as she was pulled in the first inning after giving up three quick runs to the Gators off three hits. UF third baseman Taylore Fuller crushed a bases-loaded double in her first plate appearance to begin the onslaught of runs for the Gators. 

Coming in for Nunn’s relief was Susan Wysocki, who was stellar in her previous outing at Florida Gulf Coast University last week, giving up three hits over four innings of work. But UF (41-4) was able to score off Wysocki as well after two USF throwing errors allowed the Gators to increase their lead to five in the third inning. 

Fuller returned to the plate for UF in the fourth and helped increase the lead even further, knocking in the Gators’ final two runs of the night with a two-out, bases loaded single. 

Florida ace Aleshia Ocasio got the win on the night, throwing four innings, giving up just three hits. The win marked her 14th of the season. 

USF second baseman Kristen Wyckoff extended her hitting streak to eight games thanks to a single in the third inning. The top three hitters in the lineup were the only Bulls to come away with a hit, as Juli Weber and Lauren Evans tried to help prevent the rout as well. 

USF now falls to 29-9 in nonconference play this season. 

USF returns to AAC play this weekend when it hosts East Carolina in a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. and finishes out the series with a third matchup Sunday at 1 p.m