USF Week kicks off

Balloons and banners were hoisted across the Marshall Student Center on Sunday in preparation for USF Week. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

USF Week is here again, this year with the slogan “Today, Tomorrow, Forever Bulls.” The celebration is meant to foster a sense of community among Bulls of past and present, and includes a number of events to keep the celebration going all week long.

MONDAY

USF Week Kickoff — MSC Atrium, 5:30 p.m. 

The spirited week of celebration kicks off with a bang on its first day. A DJ, band members and cheerleaders will help keep the celebration energized while Rocky the Bull is sure to get in on a few camera selfies with students rocking green and gold. In case anyone gets hungry from all the excitement, there will be tables of food galore — just make sure not to cut in line.

USF Spring Arts Festival: ArtWalk Centre Gallery, 11. a.m. and 7 p.m. 

The College of the Arts Council, Student Government and the Centre Gallery are teaming up to prove that art is more fun when onlookers can get involved and bring their own creativity to the exhibit. The show will be held twice today and will feature music, dance, painting and art installations that students can interact with. 

Chinese Culture Festival — MSC Oval Theater, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. 

For its sixth annual festival, the Honors College and the Confucius Institute are bringing a taste of Chinese culture to campus. Stations will be set up for lantern-making, calligraphy and palm reading. Students can also eat traditional Chinese food and drink tea while a dragon dance is performed on stage. 

TUESDAY

Patio Tuesday — MLK Plaza, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Students can come enjoy the sunny weather while experiencing a wide variety of traditional activities and food from around the world. There will also be special USF Week giveaways. 

An Evening with Bill Nye the “Science Guy” — MSC Ballroom, 7:30 p.m.

The University Lecture Series is bringing Bill Nye to campus — for science. Many students know Nye from the educational show he hosted on PBS that is the essence of 90s nostalgia. These days, the scientist has turned his attention to some of the less whacky sides of science, such as the consequences of climate change and the dangers of teaching creationism in school.

WEDNESDAY

Ultimate Bull Talent Show — MSC Oval Theater, 7:30 p.m.

The third annual show will once again shine the spotlight on Bulls with talent. In the past, students have demonstrated virtuosity for the violin, cadence for spoken word poetry and wit for stand-up comedy. 

Get Your Paint On! — MSC Bull Market, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

If students have ever thought a dash of red or orange paint would go well with the green tint of the MSC’s windows, Wednesday will be their chance to say so. In the past, student organizations, departments, fraternities and sororities have left their mark. This year, students are encouraged to take international inspiration to their art. Themes include global responsibility and global perspective. 

THURSDAY

Undergraduate Research and Arts Colloquium — MSC Ballroom and Conference Rooms, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Office for Undergraduate Research is giving a chance to students from all majors to present their research projects to hear feedback from experienced researchers. Projects can be in the form of a poster presentation, an oral presentation or a visual arts presentation.

Rocky’s Birthday Bash — Castor Lawn, 5 to 10 p.m.

There will be cupcakes galore at the birthday party for the USF mascot, who is expected to make an appearance in his sharpest suit. Born in 1962, it doesn’t seem that Rocky will retire any time soon even in  his 50s.

FRIDAY

Bullstock — Sun Dome Parking Lot 22D, 6 p.m.

The annual outdoor concert will feature headliner Young the Giant. Andy Grammer and American Authors will open for the band. Young the Giant’s first hit single was “My Body” and landed on the Billboard 100. Before the concerts begins, there will be a party at 5 p.m. Past pre-parties have featured bungee jumping, rock walls and a zip line.

SATURDAY

USF Bulls versus ECU Pirates — USF Baseball Stadium, 6:30 p.m.

A conference game will conclude the week. Students are encouraged to wear green and gold to spirit the Bulls to victory.

THROUGHOUT THE WEEK:

Creative Works Showcase — MSC 2700

The Centre Gallery will display works based on the common reading book “Full Body Burden.” The gallery is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Friday.