Santos keys Bulls’ two wins

Junior Monica Santos is red hot this month, hitting a team-high .600 through nine games. ORACLE PHOTO/SEBASTIAN CONTENTO

With one out in the bottom of the fourth inning Wednesday night, the USF softball team found itself tied 2-2 with Georgetown. That was until junior Monica Santos squeezed a line drive down the left-field line for her second go-ahead RBI of the day.

The Bulls swept the doubleheader at the USF Softball Stadium with a 10-2 win over Georgetown (7-11) and a 4-2 win over Lehigh to bring their record to 21-7.

Santos opened the offensive floodgates in an inning that saw six hits and eight runs.

“I was so nervous,” Santos said of her go-ahead hit. “It’s kind of funny actually, we have yoga and we practice ‘Ujjayi’ breath and the whole time I was just thinking ‘Ujjayi, Ujjayi’ and it actually worked. I was relaxed and just knew I needed to get the job done.” 

Santos finished the night 3-for-6 with two runs and three RBIs.

Junior Morgan Litchfield kept the scoring up with a hit over first base, scoring Santos from second. Sophomore Kristen Wyckoff followed with a shot to center field-scoring pinch-runner Mia Fung.

Junior Lee Ann Spivey capped off the inning with a three-run homer over the left-field fence — the sixth of the season and 20th of her career — bringing the lead to 10-2.

Sam Greiner earned the win with 4 2/3 innings, five hits and no earned runs. The senior improved her record to 6-1. 

Against Lehigh (9-3), Spivey got the ball rolling with a one-out sacrifice bunt, scoring Wyckoff and giving the Bulls a 1-0 lead that would stick until the top of the sixth when Lehigh’s Cassie Waggy hit a two-RBI single to give the Mountain Hawks their first lead of the night.

Next up was Santos, who drove in the go-ahead runs with a bases-clearing double, giving the Bulls a 3-2 lead.

Santos is currently hitting .600 in March.

USF gets one day off before returning to the USF Softball Complex for a doubleheader Friday against Iowa State and Boston University at 1:45 p.m.