Mass Comm announcement today, multimillion donation anticipated

The university will make an announcement today outside the Communication and Information
Science Building that will benefit the School of Mass Communications. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

USF is on a roll, having received nearly $50 million dollars in high-profile donations in the last six months — and an announcement this morning is likely to increase that number.

The announcement is set for 10 a.m. today outside the Communication and Information Science Building.

According to a press release, the announcement will benefit the School of Mass communications.

The benefit is rumored to be similar to last month’s $10 million donation by Lynn Pippenger, whose name now adorns the School of Accountancy.

In October, Les and Pam Muma gave the university the largest single gift in USF history. The USF College of Business was renamed in honor of their $25 million donation.

Not long before the Mumas’ gift, the USF St. Petersburg College of Business received $10 million from alumna Kate Tiedemann in September. As a result, the school was renamed the Kate Tiedemann College of Business.

President Judy Genshaft, USF Foundation CEO Joel Momberg and College of Arts and Sciences Dean Eric Eisenberg will be in attendance at the event, in addition to an unnamed guest.

The announcement comes in the wake of the confirmation that USF’s medical school will be moved downtown if sufficient funds are raised. According to an article by the Tampa Bay Times, Momberg is confident he has already met the donors that will make the medical school possible.