Student elections head into last day of voting

Student body president candidates, Sammy Hamed (bottom left) and Andy Rodriguez, took pies in the face for Bulls for Kids at the Bull Market Wednesday outside the Marshall Student Center. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Student body president candidates Sammy Hamed and Andy Rodriguez did almost everything to get votes at Bull Market Wednesday.

Whether it was dancing and singing along with the Bulls Radio DJ or getting pied in the face for Bulls for Kids, each pushed their campaign before polls close today in this year’s student body election.  

The last two weeks of campaigning were very amicable compared to elections of previous years, as Hamed and Rodriguez could be seen jokingly encouraging each other’s campaigns all week. Each called this year’s campaign more “civil” and “friendly.”

Unlike last year’s election that saw over a dozen filed grievances, an SG Supreme Court hearing and a run-off election, this election cycle has gone much smoother and neither presidential candidate has been assessed any campaign violations by the Election Rules Committee.

Students can vote online at sg.usf.edu/vote, or visit several polling stations around campus today located outside the Campus Recreation Center, Juniper-Poplar hall, the Marshall Student Center, the Argos Center and SG Computer Services.

In addition to the presidential candidates, there are also 102 candidates running for 60 seats in the SG Senate. The most competitive races are among 62 candidates for the 25 open seats allocated for the College of Arts and Sciences, 19 candidates for the eight seats for the College of Business and three candidates for two seats for the College of Public Health.

Voting closes tonight at 8 and results will be announced Friday at noon on Crescent Hill.