Bulls look to rebound from close loss

Courtney Williams. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

After a devastating one-point loss against East Carolina over the weekend, the Bulls are hoping to regain momentum before the start of the NCAA Tournament.

USF (20-5, 11-2) only faces two teams with winning records before the start of postseason play: Tulsa (14-10, 9-4) and No. 1 UConn (24-1, 13-0). 

Tonight’s game at the Sun Dome will be the first time the Bulls play the Golden Hurricane this season. 

Junior guard Courtney Williams will attempt her 11th-straight game with 20 or more points, with 34 coming in her latest outing. Williams’ prolific shooting has helped the Bulls go 8-2 during the scoring streak.

Serving as the threat down low, junior forward Alisia Jenkins continues to be red-hot, notching her 17th double-double Sunday. The Bulls are 16-1 when Jenkins reaches this achievement. 

With only five games left in the regular season, USF will soon be gearing up for AAC Tournament and NCAA tournament play. Although head coach Jose Fernandez’s philosophy is to take the season one game at a time, the intensity and extra practice time that has taken place over the past few days indicates his recognition in prioritizing lessons from a loss above those of a win. 

Tulsa has talent of their own in junior guard Ashley Clark, who is averaging a team-high 14 points per game. Another star for the Golden Hurricane is senior forward Mariah Turner, scoring almost 13 points with 7.4 rebounds a game and 12 blocks in the season. 

The match-ups of Clark against Williams and Jenkins against Turner could prove to be overwhelming for USF, a team that has not lost back-to-back games this entire season. 

The Bulls face Tulsa tonight at 7, before taking on Temple (12-14, 8-5) for the second time this season Sunday at noon.