Women’s tennis coach fired

Agustin Moreno coached USF women’s tennis to a 129-79 record in just over nine seasons before being let go Monday.
SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF women’s tennis coach Agustin Moreno was let go for not meeting the standards expected of a head coach, Director of Athletics Mark Harlan announced Monday afternoon. 

Assistant coach Kelly Anderson will serve as the interim coach until a new head coach is found.

The team began the spring season with a 2-4 record, with wins against the University of North Florida and Florida Gulf Coast University. 

Moreno led USF to an AAC title last season, defeating Houston in the championship round. The team finished the season with a loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Oklahoma State.

Bulls earn weekly awards

USF softball player Juli Weber earned a spot on this week’s AAC honor roll after having an eight-hit weekend, during which she hit .615. 

The sophomore has started all 10 games this season and has hit .429 with a team-high 12 hits.

Weber marks the third player to be named to the honor roll this season, joining Erica Nunn and Lee Ann Spivey. 

Junior pitcher Jimmy Herget was also named to the AAC honor roll after a strong effort in USF’s 2-1 win over No. 17 Cal State Fullerton on Friday. 

Herget allowed one run on one hit and four walks in five innings pitched. The right-hander struck out nine batters in the win on opening night. 

Women’s basketball drops out of polls

After spending its first-ever week in program history with a ranking in the AP Top 25, USF (20-5, 11-2) fell out of the rankings following its 65-64 loss to ECU (17-8, 8-6) on Sunday. 

Despite owning a better record than seven of the ranked teams, the Bulls received only 19 votes in the AP Poll released Monday. 

The Bulls will have a chance to start another winning streak Wednesday when they host Tulsa (14-10, 9-4) at 7 p.m.