Perry showing signs of progress

After being listed as out indefinitely, sophomore guard Chris Perry was able to shoot around during Monday’s practice. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

USF men’s basketball coach Orlando Antigua had no update on the condition of power forward Chris Perry, but the sophomore showed some encouraging signs of progress before the team’s Monday afternoon practice session.

Perry, who is out indefinitely with an undisclosed medical issue, attempted several mid- and long-range shots during a solo session at the team’s facility without any visible limitations. He was not available to speak to reporters.

“I just know he’s day-to-day,” Antigua said. “Right now, it’s just trying to make sure everybody gets healthy and get everybody on the court.”

Meanwhile, freshman center Ruben Guerrero, who was dinged up in Saturday’s 78-71 overtime loss at Tulsa, is expected to play Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. against Temple in the Sun Dome.

Snub of the week

Senior guard Corey Allen Jr. may have put up a career-high 32 points at Tulsa, but it wasn’t enough to earn him a spot on the AAC weekly honor roll.

Allen’s previous best (30 points) came in a 75-62 loss to Florida State on Dec. 20 at the BB&T Center in Sunrise.

“I was just going out there and trying to play basketball with a free mind and be aggressive,” Allen said. “Good things happened.”

Positive strides

Though the result was not what he was hoping for against AAC-leading Tulsa, Antigua said he was encouraged by the team’s ability to compete while short-handed.

“I was encouraged about how we weathered fouls and missing people from the lineup with guys stepping up,” Antigua said. “Were there some things we could have done better? Absolutely. We’re going to (use practice) to look at some of the things we can improve on.”

USF returns home Wednesday night at 6:30 to take on Temple (15-7, 6-3).

Coach knows best

If he were Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Antigua said he would have handed the ball off to star running back Marshawn Lynch on second and goal from the 1-yard line with 26 seconds left against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday.

Instead, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson opted to attempt a pass over the middle to receiver Doug Baldwin and was intercepted by Patriots rookie Malcolm Butler to seal a 28-24 victory and New England’s fourth Super Bowl title in 15 years.

“Yeah, I would have (run it),” Antigua said with a laugh. “(Lynch) was in beast mode.”