President, senate applications for SG elections due Friday

Student Government (SG) applications are due 5 p.m. Friday for students who want to run in the presidential or senatorial elections.

Eligible candidates running for both student body president and the SG senate must be in good academic standing with at least a 2.5 GPA. Undergraduate students must also be taking nine credit hours, and graduate student must be taking six credit hours. 

There are 60 elected positions available. The number of seats open for each college depends on how many students are in each college for the semester. SG Supervisor of Elections John Quiroz said the exact number of seats would be calculated soon.

Since applications became open on the first day of classes, there have been 40 submissions for the SG senate race, of which 29 applicants are from the College of Arts and Sciences. There is only one person who filed an application to run in the presidential election.

Once eligible applicants are approved, the first election event will be a candidate mixer that is open to the student body on Feb. 3 at 4 p.m. in Marshall Student Center (MSC) room 2708. Quiroz said the catered mixer is an informal opportunity for candidates and students to meet and get to know one another.

The second event is the presidential debate held on Feb. 4 at 7 p.m. in the MSC Oval Theater. 

A second debate for the vice presidential candidates will be held Feb. 9, also at the Oval Theater. 

At both debates, Quiroz said candidates would answer student-written questions, adding that questions should be submitted to the Election Rules Commission beforehand.

Voting starts the morning of Feb. 16. Students can vote online or at polling stations located across campus, including outside the Campus Recreation, the MSC, Juniper Poplar Hall and Argos Dining Center. 

Voting ends at 8 p.m. Feb. 19.