Cases of simple battery reported on campus

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Two cases of simple battery were reported to University Police (UP) on campus Tuesday night.

In the reports, approximately 20 minutes apart, two separate female victims said the suspect followed them from behind while they walked on campus. 

The suspect is described as a white male standing around 5 feet 7 inches tall wearing a baseball cap, jeans and a shirt. 

The victims described the incidents to UP as unwanted touching, though neither incident resulted in injury. 

Victims reported the suspect made no aggressive effort to kidnap or engage in sexually violent actions.

After inappropriately grabbing the two women, the suspect fled the scene before UP could arrive. 

The first incident was reported in the parking lot near Castor Hall around 6:50 p.m., and the second incident was reported 20 minutes later on the south side of the John and Grace Allen Building.

As part of the ongoing investigation, UP is not ruling out the possibility of two, independent suspects.  

UP Assistant Chief Chris Daniel said it’s still speculation whether or not the touching had sexual intent.

“We don’t know if it was a prank or a practical joke,” he said. “Either way, it was unwanted touching.”

UP encourages anyone with information to contact the USF Police Department at 813-974-2628, or 911 in case of
emergency. 

Daniel said though the reports are not reason for panic, students should always remain alert of the available safety measures on campus, including USF Safe Team, Bluelight Phones and the Rave Guardian Campus Safety mobile app. 

“Be aware of your surroundings and your personal safety,” Daniel said. “Try to walk in groups at night and try not to be buried in your phones, texting.”

For anyone who still feels unsafe, Daniel said UP offers self-defense classes for women, taught by certified police officers who teach tactics and techniques.