USF records first tie of the season

Sophomore Marcus Epps scored both goals for the Bulls, which were his first goals this season. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The Bulls found that 110 minutes were not enough to pull away from the SMU Mustangs as USF earned its first draw of the season in a 2-2 game.

Sophomore Marcus Epps scored both goals for the Bulls, which were his first goals this season, with Lindo Mfeka assisting on both of them.

Mfeka pressured an SMU defender and eventually stole the ball near the box. He then passed it to Epps, who shot it past SMU goalkeeper Michael Nelson toward his far post from 10 yards away.

The Bulls led for a 40-minute span after the opening goal, with USF sophomore goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic keeping the Bulls in the lead by making four of his eight saves throughout the game in that time span.

The first tying goal came in the 61st minute from SMU midfielder Bryce Clark, as he scored on a free kick from roughly 30 yards away.

Following Clark’s goal, Epps responded two minutes later with an easy header from six yards away.

Senior Edwin Moalosi provided a pass for Mfeka to cross it into the box for Epps.

After leading for 12 minutes, SMU tied the game for good off a free kick from Jared Rice who crossed it into the middle of the box. 

SMU’s leading scorer Idrissa Camara headed it past Stefanovic from 15 yards out.

Both Nelson and Stefanovic combined for five total saves after the final goal, with 10 shots taken in total. 

USF still remains in second place in the AAC after the tie, with 10 points from three wins and a tie, and SMU remains in first place with 11 points earned from three wins and two ties.

USF remains on the road as they play AAC rival UCF on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.