Animal testing complaint filed against USF

Stop Animal Exploitation Now (SAEN), an Ohio-based animal rights group, has filed a federal complaint against USF for a violation of federal animal testing regulations that resulted in the death of a primate during a university study.

The complaint stems from a diabetes study conducted at the university last year. According to an article in the Tampa Tribune, the university released a statement citing one in April 2013 and one in December 2013, in which water was withheld from a number of research primates overnight.

SAEN has asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture for an official investigation and is seeking the $10,000 maximum fine per incident of abuse. SAEN has estimated that the fines could total more than $100,000, according to the Tampa Tribune.

The university self-reported the violation to federal authorities in August 2013 and according to the university, federal authorities accepted the corrective steps taken by the university following the incident.

USF did not identify the primary researcher in their statement.

“As an institution, USF believes in the respectful and ethical treatment of animals in research projects,” the university told the Tribune. “The university has a vigorous review and training process. USF will continue to abide by all state and federal laws and guidelines.”

— Staff report