USF women’s soccer captures first season win against FGCU

The women’s soccer team was able to keep the Eagles off the board in its 1-0 victory.
ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ TONY GORDON

For the first time this season, the USF women’s soccer team (1-2-1) was able to secure a win as they beat FGCU (2-1-0) 1-0 at Corbett Stadium.

The Bulls were shut out in the first half, but sophomore Leticia Skeete found the net for what would be the game-winning goal, the first of her career.

USF was able to shut down the Eagles’ offense, allowing only four shots, compared to the Bulls’ 15. The abundance of shots kept FGCU’s keeper Brittany Brown on her toes with seven saves.

The Bulls had been outscored 4-1 in the three games prior, despite outshooting their opponents 41-35.

Off a late-game corner kick by senior forward Demi Stokes, senior forward Sarah Miller scored with a header, but the goal was taken off the board due to a foul.

It looked like FGCU would have a late chance to score, but the USF defense, led by juniors Alexis Rossi and Jackie Simpson, was able to defend the goal and preserve the shutout.

It was a quiet night for freshman keeper Thordis Aikman who needed only one save to secure her first career shutout, USF’s first of the season.

The Bulls return to action at 8 p.m. Friday in the Blue Raider Classic when they will face host Middle Tennessee.