Kevin Bacon announced as speaker for USF Week

Students at USF are about to get a few degrees closer to Kevin Bacon. 

After actor Matthew Perry canceled his contract with the University Lecture Series (ULS) due to a scheduling conflict, ULS announced Kevin Bacon, the award-winning actor best known for his roles in films such as “Footloose,” “JFK” and “A Few Good Men,” would speak to students during USF Week. 

“If you type his name on Twitter, there is a lot that will pop up,” ULS graduate advisor Richard Scibetti said.

Bacon, whose lecture will cost ULS $70,000, according to a copy of his contract obtained through a public record request per state law, will speak to students about his career and his socially conscious networking philanthropy “SixDegrees,” which connects social causes with celebrities and takes its name from the popular game “Six degrees of Kevin Bacon” that postulates most of society can be connected within six links.

“His philanthropy is really unique – he turned this game into something positive,” ULS Executive Director Woodra Keene said.

The lecture will also include a conversation about some of Bacon’s success, a portion of the lecture moderated by Scibetti that will include Bacon’s favorite experiences in his career and various roles.

Bacon will speak Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom and will participate in a Q-and-A session with the audience. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. 

ULS is hosted by the Center for Student Involvement. Bacon is the final speaker of the semester. 

Keene said ULS chooses each speaker each semester based on a student survey. She said New York Times best-selling author Nicholas Sparks received the most votes last year and came to speak in February. She said the next survey should be out for students to vote by the time Bacon comes to speak on campus.

– Staff report