Williams leads Bulls on road with 35 points at Temple

Even with the career-high 35 points USF guard Courtney Williams scored against Temple in Philadelphia on Saturday, it was her effort during the final 20 seconds of the game that sealed the Bulls’ victory against the Owls.

After the sophomore made two free throws with 21 seconds on the clock, pushing the Bulls to 71-69, Williams tallied her second block of the game giving possession back to the Bulls.

With the Owls forcing to foul senior Akila McDonald, the center made one of her two free throws before Temple tossed up a desperation 3-pointer. As the buzzer sounded, USF won 72-69.

Williams’ block was one of 11 made by the Bulls on Saturday. All but one came during the second half.

In a game that featured efficient offensive drives by both teams, neither was able to hold a comfortable lead.

With eight lead changes throughout, Temple’s seven-point lead in the first half with 1:35 left was the largest lead of the game.

The teams shot on point with one another: USF went 47.4 percent from the field and the Owls went 56.5 percent. But with five different players finding themselves in foul trouble toward the end of the first half with two infractions each, the Owls were able to capitalize earning
13 points on 14 attempts from the free-throw line.

It was the defensive effort by the Bulls (15-11, 10-5) that kept the Owls (12-14, 6-9) from finding similar shot success in the second half. The Owls shot under 30 percent from the field, but found the free-throw line another six times, making all
of them.

Though Williams may have stolen the show as the only Bulls player to score into double figures, senior guard Inga Orekhova earned her 900th career point during the game on a layup after Temple guard Erica Covile turned the ball over with a foul. Orekhova finished the game with seven points and two rebounds.

USF’s third consecutive win on the road helps the Bulls in their goal to repeat an NCAA
Tournament appearance.

As the fourth place team in the American Athletic Conference, USF has three games left in the regular season. The Bulls have already beaten two of its upcoming opponents this season, Memphis and SMU, both at home. The season ends on the road against Rutgers.

Tip off with Memphis is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Sun Dome.