USF Week gets $161K increase

After meeting Tuesday night, Student Government approved funding that would almost double the budget for what was talked about as “Homecoming Week in the spring.”

Approving an additional $161,120, Student Government senators enhanced the budget for USF Week at Tuesday’s senate meeting. The funding comes from the SG unallocated cash account and will be added to the Center for Student Involvement’s existing $189,000 budget for USF Week and BullStock.

Described as a Homecoming week for the spring semester, senators discussed USF Week, which will take place the week of April 7 and include several events, ending with BullStock, an annual campus music festival open to the community featuring several bands.

Monica Miranda, director of the CSI, said USF Week’s planning committee aims to improve a week in which traditions can be built for students.

“It’s truly the greatest celebration of USF pride we can provide for the community,” Miranda said.

Created after former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio declared April 9 to be USF Day in 2010, the week includes a number of events. Last year, USF Week included a talent show, pep rally and “Rocky’s Rockin Bday Bash.” Last year’s BullStock featured winners from a Battle of the Bands competition between local acts, Hot Chelle Rae, Owl City and All-American Rejects.

The proposed budget, which passed the Senate in a 31-8-1 vote, calls for $12,000 to be added to host the Ultimate Bull talent show and for marketing USF Week, $40,000 for an additional University Lecture Series speaker and $100,000 for BullStock.

For BullStock, $45,000 of the added funds will be allocated for improved staging to allow for less transition time between bands, $50,000 for a third performance in addition to the two main acts already being planned and $15,000 for various rides and attractions.

CJ Villa, a coordinator at CSI, said some of the increase for funding Bullstock was needed to book entertainers. Since USF Week coincides with the Coachella music festival this year, some artists required either quick booking or more money in order to come to USF. He said some performers USF considered were Ellie Goulding, Lorde and Bastille, but the performers chose Coachella instead. Villa said the lineup has yet to be finalized.

Other funds requested will go toward supplement the costs of bringing an “internationally recognized speaker” to USF for ULS.

During last year’s lecture series, Grammy-winning singer and songwriter John Legend came to campus for USF Week. His lecture, which also featured some performances by Legend, cost $56,500. This year, SG allocated $264,152 for ULS, of which $69,000 was spent for last semester’s speakers and $61,500 is budgeted for the first two speakers of this semester.

Members of the planning committee for USF Week told senators they hope the week can become a campus tradition, and one day become comparable to Homecoming week, which Villa said usually costs about $400,000. SG allotted this year’s Homecoming steering committee $418,229.

Villa said attendance for CSI events has increased in recent semesters, with about 5,000 people coming to the larger events, such as this year’s homecoming after party that featured rapper Wiz Khalifa, and an estimated 6,500 people attending last year’s BullStock.

Prior to the approval of the additional funding, CSI had allocated $168,000 to BullStock and $21,000 to other USF Week events. This year’s BullStock will take place April 11.