Gov. Scott visits campus for trafficking summit

Florida is one of the most attractive destinations and transit points for human traffickers, according to the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice (FDJJ).

On Thursday morning, the agency will sponsor the second statewide Human Trafficking Summit to be held at the Marshall Student Center.

Members of the legal, educational and medical communities from around the state, along with Gov. Rick Scott, will converge in Tampa to participate in sessions focused on furthering the fight against labor and sex trafficking.

“I am committed to making Florida a zero-tolerance state for human trafficking, and I am honored to be a key partner in the Human Trafficking Summit. The only way we can stop human trafficking in Florida is to engage everyone in the effort and to raise awareness,” Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a FDJJ press release.

The Interagency Workgroup on Human Trafficking and FDJJ will also be presenting awards for outstanding advocate, prosecutor and law enforcement official working on the prevention of human trafficking.

“The summit is a physical representation of the state’s unified stance against this atrocious activity and our commitment to end it,” FDJJ Secretary Wansley Walters said.

FDJJ will provide a webcast of the event on their website.

— Staff report