Rising above with ‘Long Forgotten Songs’

With six full-length albums under its belt, numerous popular tracks and a diverse fan base, Rise Against has been a leader in the punk rock scene since 2000. 

Popular tracks such as “Swing Life Away,” from “Siren Song of the Counter Culture” and “Satellite,” from the more recent release “Endgame,” have brought notoriety to the band.

Due to the small number of albums the band has released, there have been many tracks that were recorded but simply did not make it on the albums. 

“Long Forgotten Songs: B-Sides & Covers 2000-2013,” released Sept. 10, is a collection of these “long forgotten songs,” as well as several covers of songs from other artists.

The album opens with the original song, “Historia Calamitatum,” which means “the story of his misfortunes.” This track fits in place with the band’s style for most of its other songs, which includes meaningful lyrics, heavy guitar work and a catchy melody.

Fans are sure to enjoy “Death Blossoms,” the second song on the album that keeps with the familiar sound of the band. It is a little more metal-core than most of the other tracks that it has released, which is a nice change. 

Another notable track is the third song on the album entitled, “Elective Amnesia.”

Once again, listeners hear the typical Rise Against style. The song starts out slow and gathers speed as it progresses, reminiscent of the band’s past song “Prayer of a Refugee,” through the style and the overall feel of the piece. 

The covers are diverse, but as a whole are well-done. The band covered many songs, including “Ballad of Hollis Brown,” by Bob Dylan,  “Any Way You Want It” by Journey, “Sliver” by Nirvana, “Making Christmas” from “The Nightmare Before Christmas” soundtrack and “Nervous Breakdown” by Black Flag. 

Covers tend to be a gamble for artists, but the band successfully covered these well-known songs, adding its own flair to them as well.

In its version of “Ballad of Hollis Brown,” Rise Against did a remarkable job with the song, but the cover also had the same feeling as the band’s original songs.

Though Rise Against did take a risk by covering Journey’s ever-popular “Any Way You Want It,” the band pulled it off and made the song its own in the process.

Though some people may criticize the new album for being a compilation of previous bonus and cover tracks, it is indeed very diverse, which shows many sides of Rise Against and is a must listen for any fans of the band.