Library to resume 24/5 hours Sunday

Students will once again be able to spend their late night hours studying in the USF Library this Sunday, as the Library resumes its 24 hours, 5 days a week operating schedule.

Nancy Cunningham, Library Director of Academic Services, said the Library would be in full operations between midnight and 7:30 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, starting Sunday evening, as it was before the extended hours were cut due to lack of funding at the beginning of the semester.

“We’re very glad,” Cunningham said. “We never wanted to see the hours go away. We know it’s so necessary for student success here at USF, so we’re very happy that it’s being reinstated.”

The cost to fund the overnight hours is $136,000, and discussions between Student Government (SG) and USF administration seeking a solution began shortly after the announcement of the cut hours. Students also reacted to the cuts by voicing their opinion through protests, petitions and letter-writing campaigns.

As students walked into the Library on Monday, they were relieved to find out they would once again have the Library available during late night hours.

Allie Rhoads, a junior majoring in microbiology, said she transferred to USF from Pasco-Hernando Community College last semester where the campus library would close at 9 p.m. She said she often found herself getting distracted at home, and was happy about USF having a library that was open throughout the night.

“When I came here, I used the Library so much because I think my best work happens between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.,” Rhoads said. “I was really sad when they cut the Library hours back, but knowing they are returning Sunday makes me really excited.”

Clint Lancaster, a senior majoring in secondary education, said the Library will come in handy when other resources on campus are closed and he needs resources to study.

“I’m so glad the hours are going back to normal,” he said. “I don’t have Internet at my apartment, so when the Library is closed, I don’t really have any other way to do my homework.”

USF student body President William Warmke said through negotiations between Student Government (SG) and USF administration, it was determined the hours needed to be reinstated sooner rather than later, and the Provost hoped to restore the hours as early as this week.

“I’m ecstatic,” Warmke said. “I’m happy that the Library hours have returned. I’m happy that students now have a place to study, especially as we approach midterms.”

— Additional reporting by Roberto Roldan