Two former Bulls head to Big Apple

Former Bulls first baseman Jimmy Falla and outfielder Chad Taylor will move from their days in the dugouts at USF to the Big Apple after signing with the New York Yankees.

The signing of their free agent contracts was made official June 17, and the two can hang up their green and gold jerseys and prepare for the pinstripes.

For some, donning a Yankees uniform can be daunting, but USF coach Lelo Prado said he isn’t worried about either of the two taking their game to the next level.

“If Chad and Jimmy can do what they’re capable of doing, they’ll be just fine,” Prado said in a press release.

Falla led most of his senior season in the stat books. With
22 doubles last year, he ranks sixth all-time at USF during a single season. Falla was also an All-Big East select, leading the Bulls in multiple RBI games with 13 and multi-hit games with 19.

Prado said Falla, who had a “great year” last season, would handle himself with the Yankees.

“I think he’ll do OK,” Prado said in a press release. “He can play outfield, he can play infield and he’ll represent the Yankees in the right way.”

Prado said Taylor also brings something to the Yankees — something he considers rare.

“Nowadays you don’t see a lot of fresh arms, and he’s got one,” Prado said. “I think he got better and better as the season went on, and I think Chad will do well playing pro ball.”

That right arm helped Taylor in his last year, when he struck out 21 batters in 32 2/3 innings. Last season was his first full one as a pitcher at the
collegiate level. He led the team with four saves and finished with a
2-0 record.

So long as Falla and Taylor can mimic their successes at USF and tap into their full
potentials, Prado said they could be looking ahead to bright futures in New York.

Staff report