AAC secures host for conference tournament

The American Athletic Conference (AAC) is starting to piece itself together bit by bit.

A week ago its logos were unveiled, and now the AAC has found where it will host its first conference basketball tournament — the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn.

Mike Aresco, commissioner of the AAC, said he is more than happy with the site of the tournament.

“FedExForum is an outstanding facility and the forum, the city of Memphis, the University of Memphis and the local community will combine to create a wonderful inaugural event that our teams, coaches, administrators and fans will embrace and enjoy,” Aresco said in a league release Tuesday.

As a member of the “old” Big East, the Bulls played at the prestigious postseason site of Madison Square Garden, home of both the New York Rangers and the Knicks.

Now both USF basketball teams will be flying out to Memphis in 2014, where it will play on the same court on which both the Memphis Grizzlies and the Memphis men’s basketball team play.

The 10-team tournament will feature Temple, Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, Rutgers, SMU, UCF and men’s national champion Louisville.

ESPN networks will host the men’s tournament, which tips off March 12 with two first-round games. Two quarter final doubleheaders will take place March 13, followed by a semifinal double header the next day, all ending on March 15 when the champion of the new conference will be crowned. Game times are still to be announced.

Staff report