Bulls win in blowout on the road

In the last regular season game for both teams, the USF womens basketball team squared off against Georgetown in Washington D.C.

With a blowout loss fresh on the minds of the USF squad, the Bulls were motivated to end the season on a strong note, as they did with a 63-35 win over the Hoyas.

The defense which USF (20-9, 9-7) lacked in its last performance against UConn made a turnaround against Georgetown (14-15, 5-11) as it held the Hoyas to merely 8 first-half points and only 35 total points.

Georgetowns struggles came mostly from its inability to keep hold of the ball and its low shooting percentages, turning the ball over 23 times and shooting under20 percent from the field andbeyond the arch.

Senior guard Sugar Rodgersled the charge for Georgetown, but the second highest scoreronly recorded five points.

USF out-reboundedGeorgetown by 17, which stopped the Hoyas from getting second chance points. The Bulls also capitalized on their strong defensive performance by putting up 63 points in thewinning effort.

Freshman guardCourtney Williams was a large part of the USF victory,contributing 18 points. Senior guard Andrell Smithalso had a strongperformance with 16 points.

USF Coach Jose Fernandez spokeearlier this weekabout how essential a victory against the Hoyas was for USFspotential entrance to the NCAAtournament.

The Bulls victory ensured the team finished the season with a winning record in conference play and a 20-win season. This was USFs first 20-win season since 2006-07.

The Big East tournamentbegins March 8.