Straub tapped as head of strength and conditioning

With 2012 ending in one major change for USF athletics, 2013 brought about another. Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Doug Woolard announced Thursday that Hans Straub will be the head strength and conditioning coach for the USF athletic program.

Straub is now responsible for the supervision of all aspects of the strength and conditioning programs for USFs 19 sports.

Straub spent the last two years at Stanford as the top assistant sports performance coach for the football team, which has produced stars like NFL quarterback Andrew Luck. Straub is also credited with designing the sports performance program at Stanford.

“(He) brings a wealth of knowledge in sports performance to our athletic department and we believe our student-athletes will benefit greatly from his experience,” Woolard said in a press release. “His work with a wide variety of sports has allowed him to tailor his performance program to the student-athletes’ needs and we think that is extremely important as strength and conditioning continues to evolve.

After graduating in 2002 from Towson University with a bachelors degree in kinesiology, Straub worked with the sports programs at the University of San Diego until 2006.

He also worked closely with the Huskies softball, baseball and womens volleyball.

“I’ve had experience working with a lot of different sports and have worked directly with the coaches of those sports to find out what their student-athletes need to be successful,” Straub said in a press release. “As a result, I’ve been able to develop functional-based programming that’s specific to each sport and its metabolic demands. With the use of increased scientific research, we train these bodies by utilizing a detailed and organized periodization that allows our student-athletes to maximize their performance, while targeting their unique, individual needs.”

Staff report