Heath, Holtz sign contract extensions until 2018

Despite differing results in the football and basketball programs, the USF athletics department has shown a commitment to the direction USF is headed in, locking in two of its most prominent coaches for the next six years.

The USF athletics department announced Friday that, despite having polar opposite previous seasons, both USF football coach Skip Holtz and mens basketball coach Stan Heath have signed contract extensions until the 2017-2018 season.

While Holtz is coming off of a disappointing 2011 campaign that saw one conference win and failure to make a bowl game for the first time since 2005, Heath is coming off of an exceptional season, leading his team to two NCAA tournament victories, the best result in school history.

Were pleased to be able to extend both coach Holtz and coach Heath, USF Athletic Director Doug Woolard said in a press release. Theyre great representatives for both USF and their respective programs.

Both coaches have been extended from the 2014-2015 season to the 2017-2018 season, with Holtz earning $12 million over six years, with an average of two million a year, and Heath earning an average of $1.19 million a season, totaling $6.93 million in the six years.

Heaths contract saw a yearly increase of $229,000 from the $900,000 base salary that he agreed to in the five-year contract he signed in 2010. The raise comes after Heath led the team to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 20 years.

Im very appreciative of the commitment President (Judy) Genshaft, Doug and our trustees have made not just to me, but to our facilities and our staff, Heath said in a press release. Im pleased with the progress of the program.

Both Holtz and Heath have multiple incentive clauses in their contracts, based on the production of the teams on the field and court.

Holtz will earn an extra $200,000 if the team wins a Big East title, $400,000 if the Bulls play for the national championship and $500,000 if they win the national championship, along with a $25,000 bonus for making any bowl games. The incentives in Holtzs contract have doubled from his previous contract, and any incentives will be added to the next years base salary.

Heath can earn an additional $100,000 if the team wins the Big East regular-season title and can earn an additional $100,000 for winning the Big East postseason tournament. A berth in the NCAA Tournament will earn $50,000, and he will earn $25,000 for each win in it. Heath would make $10,000 for a berth in the National Invitational Tournament.