Quick Picks: April brings many major shows to Tampa

With the spring semester winding down and finals starting in only a few weeks, there is no better time to blow off a little residual steam. Fortunately, the Tampa Bay area will host quite a few promising rock shows in the next month to help those in need of a musical escape.

The Oracle takes a look at a few upcoming shows that should offer a pleasant diversion before we all start filling out Scantrons and dreaming about summer.

Portugal. The Man

With the release of their most recent album, In the Mountain in the Cloud, Portugal. The Man saw many additions to their already musically ambition sound, proving they would still remain an eclectic act even after signing to major label Atlantic Records prior to the albums release.

Now, the Jagermeister Music Tour brings them to Ybor Citys very own The Ritz for what should be a night of high-spirited anthems and inspired melodies, courtesy of tracks such as So American and The Beach Boys-sounding Sleep Forever.

Time: Wednesday, April 11 at 6 p.m.

Location: The Ritz Ybor, 1503 E. Seventh Ave.

Price: $20 for adults, $18 in advance

Website: ritzybor.com

Van Halen

Fans of the raucous 80s rock act Van Halen had to wait almost 30 years for the group to record a new album with original lead singer David Lee Roth, which eventually resulted in this past Februarys A Different Kind of Truth. Thankfully, they wont have to wait that long to see them tour, with Roth high-kicking in the lead again.

While the generally well-received album didnt put the group back to the level of sales received in their 80s heyday, Van Halen is still selling out arenas and performing live in much the same way. They pull into the Tampa Bay Times Forum on April 14 to give their fans a chance to dance the night away.

Time: Saturday, April 14 at 7 p.m.

Location: Tampa Bay Times Forum, 401 Channelside Drive

Price: $62 for general admission

Website: forumtampa.com

Dick Dale & The Dick Dale Band

Perhaps theres no better place to see legendary King of the Surf Guitar Dick Dale than a short distance away from some of the finest beaches in St. Petersburg.

Though his early 60s tracks such as Miserlou, Riders in the Sky, and Mr. Eliminator, may not have name recognition among college crowds, the iconic beach tunes will probably be instantly recognizable to the young and old alike.

At age 74, Dale doesnt exactly match State Theatres penchant for drawing in younger recording acts. However, this show offers a rare chance to see a storied living legend in the flesh.

Time: Friday, April 20 at 7 p.m.

Location: State Theatre, 687 Central Ave., St. Petersburg

Price: $20 for general admission

Website: statetheatreconcerts.com

Rammstein

While the name Rammstein may not be familiar to all, their rabid and dedicated cult of fans are certainly well-versed in the German industrial metal band. So it should come as no surprise that the act will be taking to an arena show at the Tampa Bay Times Forum on April 21 in support of their recent greatest hits album, Made in Germany.

With blaring guitars and house-style beats booming over tracks such as Du Hast, Feuer Frei, and Amerika, the vast Tampa Bay Times Forum should provide plenty of room for the head banging and mosh pits that will surely ensue once the band takes the stage.

Time: Saturday, April 21 at 8 p.m.

Price: General admission tickets start at $60

Website: forumtampa.com