CAMLS grand opening brings prominent guests

After nearly two years of preparation and construction, USFs Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS) held its grand opening Friday.

CAMLS, which has been open since February, trains all levels of professions in the health field though simulations and teamwork building, said Laura Haubner, medical director of the Virtual Patient Care Center.

The University first eyed the downtown Tampa location, which replaced a Hillsborough Area Regional Transport parking lot, as an ideal location for the $38 million building in 2010.

USF Health students are currently taking courses at the center where the CAMLS experience is incorporated and students are not just listening during a lecture, Haubner said.

This is learner-focus, she said. (With lectures), you dont really know where those learners are at. Here, we are focusing on the acquisition of those skills.

Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Tampa, said during the event that the type of learning CAMLS offers is part of a trend.

If you talk to the young students in medicine, they expect this kind of trend, she said. Its no longer about sitting in a boring lecture.

Attendees were able to take a tour of the 90,000-square-foot building.

A hybrid operating room with microphones and cameras allows trainees to perform mock surgeries while being debriefed on whether they were right or wrong.

Another room changes the environment with colored lights and scenes projected on a wall, such as blue lights and butterflies for a pediatric environment.

USF President Judy Genshaft said she hopes CAMLS will have an impact beyond Tampa Bay.

It drives the economy that we want to see in Florida, she said. It will place us on the global map.

The event brought medical professionals from all over the country to speak, such as Carlos Pellegrini, chair of surgery at the University of Washington.

One can practice without inflicting pain (at CAMLS), he said. It provides methods to learn not just the right way to do things, but to also make errors.

Go to the Oracle’s Multimedia page to see a photo gallery from this event.