Upcoming fall festivities

While the summer may have felt short-lived for some, there’s little time to fret now as we roll back into our first week of the fall semester.

However, nobody said you had to stop thinking about fun quite yet. Besides obvious traditions of fall in Tampa, like the festival Guavaween held in Ybor city every October, there is much more on the horizon to look forward to.

Scene & Heard offers you a brief preview of some of the more exciting events that may make this next semester a little more bearable.

Fleet Foxes

When: Sept. 20, 7 p.m.

Where: Florida Theatre

The Seattle rock outfit Fleet Foxes play music that is edgy, yet envelops its listeners in a warm and engaging atmosphere. The historic, and not to mention scenic, confines of the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville will offer a great outlet for their brand of folk rock come September.

This will be the group’s only Florida appearance on their current tour, and tickets are selling fast. Ticket prices range from $31.50 to $36.50, depending on where you’d like to sit.

If you can’t make it Sept. 20, perhaps some of Florida Theatre’s upcoming offerings like Elvis Costello and the Impostors or Death Cab for Cutie could make up for the missed opportunity.

“Pearl Jam 20”

When: Sept. 20, 7:30 p.m.

Where: Tampa Theatre

If you need your dose of rock to be a little harder than Fleet Foxes, Tampa Theatre is looking to turn its amplifiers up to 11 with a one-night-only screening of the documentary “Pearl Jam 20.”

Written, produced and directed by “Almost Famous” and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” creator Cameron Crowe,the documentary is a career-spanning look at one of music’s most beloved groups and a love letter to their legion of fans.

Tampa Bay Derby Darlins

When: Sept. 30 to Oct. 15, 7 p.m.

Where: USA Skateplex

While roller derby may exist solely as a relic of the past for some, the Tampa Bay Derby Darlins roller derby league is here to prove the sport remains relevant today.

Holding their derby bouts just down the road from the USF campus at the USA Skateplex, teams ranging from local Tampa squads to out-of-state groups skate around to the enjoyment of their ever-enthusiastic fan base. Between Sept. 30 and Oct. 15, the USA Skateplex will be playing host to the South Central roller derby finals.

Charlie Murphy

When: Oct. 6-9, times vary from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Where: Tampa Improv

If you’ve never heard of the older brother of “Coming to America” and “Doctor Dolittle” star Eddie Murphy, then you certainly weren’t watching “Chappelle’s Show” during its initial run on Comedy Central.

Known better to fans of the show as the unsuspecting star who felt the wrath ofdrug-induced singer Rick James, Charlie Murphy has made quite a name for himself as a stand-up comic since. He’s toured with other “Chappelle’s Show” regulars for some time, and will be bringing his unique brand of twisted comedy to the Tampa Improv at 1600 E. Eighth Ave. in October.

Tickets are $27 each for this special engagement.

Odd Future

When: Nov. 2, 8 p.m.

Where: The Ritz Ybor

Hip-hop group Odd Future – short for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All – has been called this generation’s Wu-Tang Clan, and its members have worked with hip-hop stars like Clipse’s Pusha T and appeared on Jay-Z and Kanye West’s critically lauded album “Watch the Throne.”

You can see if all the hype is true come Nov. 2, as the group bring its insane stage show to the Ritz Ybor. If you’ve watched their performances on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” or seen any of their music videos, you should know that this will be a truly unique experience.

Tickets are $20, with an $8.85 service fee if you purchase them through Ticketmaster.