USF on cloud nine after thrashing Alabama A&M

The USF women’s soccer team had a momentous weekend as it racked up two wins on the season after defeating Indiana in a close 2-1 match Friday and beating Alabama A&M in a stunning 9-0 shutout Sunday.

USF sophomore forward Demi Stokes and senior forward Chelsea Klotz scored a goal apiece to beat Indiana. Midfielder Lisa Nouanesengsy scored the sole goal for the Hoosiers. Though the win against Indiana (1-1-1) was a momentum changer for the Bulls, who had lost the opening game of their season 5-1 to No. 24 UCF, the weekend was far from over.

The Bulls got off to a quick start against Alabama A&M when junior defender Kelly Campbell scored in the seventh minute on the first of three assists produced by senior midfielder Noelle Pieiro, who also scored a goal.

“We’re doing our work in practice, and it’s good to see that transfer in the game,” Pieiro said.

Campbell’s goal was followed by eight others scored by eight different players. Stokes, who scored in the home opener, said she was happy about her two goals, but remained humble.

“It was great, but obviously it didn’t just come from me,” she said. “It came from the whole team, and everyone played their part.”

Though the Bulls’ offense served as a crowd pleaser with 24 of 39 shots on goal, the defense also did its job against Alabama A&M, holding it to zero shots in the match.

“It was a great weekend,” USF women’s soccer coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “We really wanted to turn things around from last week.”

Schilte-Brown said she feels confident about playing Vanderbilt (2-1-0) this week based on the way USF (2-1-0) played this weekend.

“I feel real positive about the way we’re playing and the way we moved the ball,” she said.

The Bulls host the Commodores Friday at 5 p.m.