USF drops third straight

Coming off a loss to St. John’s in straight sets Friday, the USF volleyball team looked to rebound Sunday against Connecticut.

Instead, the Bulls (10-14, 6-7) lost decisively to the Huskies (5-18, 3-9), getting swept in straight sets, 21-25, 20-25 and 22-25.

Coach Claire Lessinger said the offense struggled to find consistency throughout the match.

“It wasn’t our best offensive night. We just hit a lot of unforced errors that contributed to the loss,” Lessinger said. “Our offense wasn’t very diverse.”

The Huskies outhit the Bulls .179 to .135 percent.

Senior right side hitter Allie Boaz continued her outstanding play on offense and led the team with 15 kills, marking the fifth consecutive match with at least that many. She also hit .242 percent and collected five digs.

Both offenses got off to a hot start in the opening set, with the Bulls hitting .259 percent to the Huskies .290.

In the second set, UConn took an early lead, but the Bulls fought off three set points before the Huskies finished them off to take a commanding lead.

USF returns home for its last two regular season games as it faces Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday and Villanova on Sunday.

The Bulls sit in seventh place in the Big East. The top eight teams make the Big East tournament.

“We put ourselves in a situation where we have to really work on USF against Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday and see if we can get ourselves back into a rhythm we’re comfortable in and doing well in the beginning of the Big East race,” Lessinger said. “Then try to take advantage of having a great team like Villanova at home.”

The Bulls are on a three-match losing streak and have lost five of their last seven Big East matches.