USF signs study abroad partnership with Peruvian university

Students in Peru will now be able to boast a bachelor’s in business administration from USF without ever stepping foot on campus.

“The idea was to offer the USF degree there,” said Dwayne Smith, USF senior vice provost. “Most international students want to study business.”

On Friday, Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola (USIL) President Edward Roekaert officially signed off on a partnership with the USF College of Business (COB) in the Business Administration building before an audience of USF students and area business leaders on the Executive Advisory Council.

This is the first time a Peruvian university has offered an American business degree with concentrations in marketing and international business, Roekaert said. USF faculty members who travel to Peru to teach courses during three-week periods will teach at least 60 percent of the coursework, he said.

“Not only will Peruvian students benefit from this program, our faculty will too,” USF COB Dean Robert Forsythe said in a press release. “By traveling to Peru, USF faculty can explore the area and get to learn the business practices in the country, bringing back that knowledge to our students at home … Borders are blurred in business.”

The signing also allows USF business students to study abroad at USIL, said International Affairs Dean Mara Crummett.

“By building this relationship, this offers Peruvian students a chance at a quality American education.” Roekaert said. “No other school in Peru has done this before.”

The partnership is similar to one USF developed two years ago with Florida-based Broward College. That program allows students to study in Singapore while students attending the Center for American Education in Singapore obtained a USF bachelor’s degree in business. Broward College offers students an associate in arts degree that is transferrable to USIL and COB’s new program.

“There are very few countries that would let USIL do this,” Roekaert said during the signing. “Thank you for your trust. We will do our best to be the best partners USF has ever had.”