Scene & Heards 2010 Fall TV Preview

Fall television begins full-swing tonight, as networks kick off the season with brand new shows and returning favorites. To help sort through the clutter, Scene & Heard has compiled a list of must-see shows this season. So turn on your TV or program your Tivo and get ready for fall television at its finest.

Boardwalk Empire

By: Brendan Collett, Scene & Heard Editor

While you may have already missed the series premiere, you have more than enough reason to watch the recap and tune into episode two on Sunday. Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese serves as executive producer for “Boardwalk Empire,” set in 1920’s Atlantic City. The brand-new series chronicles new-found gangster Nucky Thompson, played by Steve Buscemi, in his quest to continue ruling the boardwalk after prohibition has taken effect.

Parallels to another HBO hit must be made; “Boardwalk Empire” was created and produced by Terence Winter, who also served as executive producer for “The Sopranos.” But Steve Buscemi’s character is not another Tony Soprano set 80 years in the past. Nucky Thompson has extra depth and intelligence that add to the show’s overall seedy appeal.

“Boardwalk Empire” continues Sunday, Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. on HBO.

Dexter

By: Francesca Basinger, Correspondent

Last season, Dexter – part-time blood-splatter analyst, part-time serial killer – went head-to-head with the notorious Trinity Killer, played by John Lithgow. The final faceoff concluded with the jaw-dropping season finale that left viewers breathless and wondering what would happen next.

In this must-see season, Dexter’s secret hobby is threatened when evidence of his alias, Kyle Butler, surfaces. Detective Joey Quinn, played by Desmond Harrington, and his fellow coworkers begin to falsely think that Dexter may be the Trinity Killer. While trying to deal with the aftermath of last season, Dexter is starting to feel an emotion for the first time in his life: guilt.

“Dexter” premieres Sunday, Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. on Showtime.

Eastbound and Down

By: Joe Polito, Correspondent

“I’m just a man with a mind for victory and an arm like a (expletive) cannon.” These are the words of Kenny Powers, the protagonist of HBO’s “Eastbound and Down” – the story of a has-been major league pitcher whose love for himself is only matched by his indifference toward all others.

In season 2, funnyman Danny McBride’s character finds himself in Mexico. The preview shows him playing for a team called the “Churros,” engaging in what looks like cock fighting and explaining to someone in true Kenny Powers style, “I transcend race, hombre.”

“Eastbound and Down” premieres Sunday, Sept. 26 at 10:30 p.m. on HBO.

Glee

By: Nicholas Trobiano, Correspondent

The ever ruthless and always funny Sue Sylvester, played by Emmy winner Jane Lynch, along with the rest of the gang return Tuesday night when “Glee” kicks off its second season. The FOX show will also feature some new faces by introducing new characters to the club, as well as a new football coach that will make Sue’s harsh criticism seem weak in comparison.

Perhaps the greatest hype about the new season began after Britney Spears was confirmed as a guest for the second episode. According to MTV, show creator Ryan Murphy announced that Spears will appear on the show as herself for an episode tribute to her music.

“Glee” premieres Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 8 p.m. on FOX.

Grey’s Anatomy

By: Nicholas Trobiano, Correspondent

A marriage, a mass murder and a miscarriage will be on everyone’s mind when the

seventh season of “Grey’s Anatomy” returns Thursday night. The season six finale ended in gunfire when a shooter entered the hospital to kill and wound several hospital employees. In the midst of the situation, Meredith Grey, played by Ellen Pompeo, also had a miscarriage as her husband Derek Shepherd, played by Patrick Dempsey, lay shot on the operating table.

The new season will pick up where the show left off, with the Seattle Grace doctors in grief counseling. An official video clip also hints that Cristina, played by Sandra Oh, will marry her boyfriend Owen, played by Kevin McKidd, in the premiere episode.

“Grey’s Anatomy” premieres Thursday, Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. on ABC.

The Office

Steve Carell has confirmed that this season will be his last playing the hilariously incompetent lead character, Michael Scott. Last season’s busy happenings included the long-anticipated wedding of Jim and Pam, played by John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer. The newly married couple also celebrated the birth of their child, Cecilia, while they and the rest of the office were thrown into the uncertainty of a corporate takeover by budget printer company Sabre.

Season 7 is a must-see for fans of “The Office,” considering Carell’s departure and the possibility of no more future seasons. Viewers should see more great scenes with season 6’s newest cast member Kathy Bates, the Academy Award-winning actress who plays the CEO of Sabre. Also, expect a resolution of the uncertain relationship between Michael Scott and Holly Flax, played by Amy Ryan.

“The Office” premieres Thursday, Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. on NBC.