Surging Bulls open Big East play

With one of the best starts in USF women’s soccer history under way, the Bulls hope to avoid starting the Big East season with a letdown.

The Bulls (5-1-1) host Marquette (3-3-2) Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium.

“I think as long as our team works hard and can say they gave their best work into a game, we are not going to be let down,” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said.

“Our entire team really believes in working hard,” she said. “And I think these team values really helped us out so far.”

The Bulls already showed their toughness in their last game against Harvard. After allowing a quick goal in the first 10 minutes, the defense tightened up and the offense became aggressive in scoring the next two goals on the way to a 2-1 victory.

“I think this really says a lot about our character and team values. You know it’s really what you see good teams do, when they get into a pressure situation they don’t panic and I think that’s where our practice comes in,” Schilte-Brown said. “We were able to come together and put them (Harvard) away.”

With plenty of hype already because of the quick start, the Bulls face increased pressure as the Big East Conference season begins.

The hero from the last game was junior midfielder Venicia Reid, who scored both goals for the Bulls.

“We are really happy with Venicia’s efforts to get those goals, and the team as a whole helping her with getting assists because we are not about one person scoring the goals,” Schilte-Brown said. “We are really excited about the shared responsibilities with the team and how they are coming together.”

The Golden Eagles, who won the Big East American Division last season, are coming off a 2-1 loss to No. 10 BYU.