Quick Picks: Laughs, lit and leisure

If you are not making the trip to Gainesville for the big game this weekend, don’t fear! Scene and Heard has compiled another round of Quick Picks to help keep your weekend eventful.

Friday

Andy Kindler

The long-time comic, with an impressive list of previous work, which includes contributing to the Daily Show and judging Last Comic Standing, will perform in Carrollwood on Friday. Kindler is not afraid to poke fun at his own industry, notably the rise of other popular comics like Dane Cook.

Time: 10 p.m.

Location: Side Splitters Comedy Club

Price: $8-$10 advance, 2-for-1 admission with USF ID

Website: Side Splitters Comedy Club

Saturday

Deep Carnivale: A Celebration of Words

Meet local and national authors this weekend at Tampa’s leading literature festival. This year, you can relive your childhood; Eric Carle, beloved children’s books author, will read from “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” and other works.

Time: 10 a.m.

Location: Hillsborough Community College, Ybor City Campus

Price: FREE

Website: Deep Carnivale

Peabody’s Billiards

If you won’t be among the Bulls’ faithful in The Swamp on Saturday, grab a group of friends and head to your favorite sports bar to watch the game. Peabody’s, which labels itself as the official watch party headquarters for Bulls’ road games, has $6.99 all-you-can-eat wings until 7 p.m. and an array of flat-screens to watch the showdown at its New Tampa location.

Time: Kickoff is at 12:21 p.m.

Location: Amberly Drive, New Tampa

Price: Varies

Website: Peabody’s Billiards

Sunday

Weekends at Adventure Island

While many other water parks have chosen to put up the rubber tubes for the season, Adventure Island will stay open during the weekends through Oct. 24. Enjoy Florida’s 90-degree September weather by floating down the Lazy River or taking a plunge down Wahoo Run.

Time: Park opens at 10 a.m.

Location: Adventure Island

Price: $41.95

Website: Adventure Island