Signee honored as countys top senior

Outfielder James Ramsay, a USF signee, was named the winner of the 2010 Tony Saladino Award – an honor given annually to the best high school senior baseball player in Hillsborough County – earlier this week.

“To win the Saladino Award is a great honor for James and his family,” Bulls coach Lelo Prado said in a statement. “It is a prestigious award. It means something special to people in Tampa, and it couldn’t go to a better young man. We are glad that he is going to represent the University of South Florida.”

Ramsay, who committed to the Bulls in December 2008 and signed last fall, is currently taking summer classes at USF, and will be eligible to play for the team in 2011.

“When we recruited James, we thought that he was one of the best players in Hillsborough County, and this award proves it,” Prado said. “He is a very special individual, both on and off the field.

The Brandon native was selected by the New York Yankees in the 38th round of the 2010 MLB Draft, but chose to play at USF rather than sign a professional contract. Ramsay, who was the 2008 St. Petersburg Times Hillsborough County Player of the Year as a sophomore, hit .417 in his senior year while playing for Brandon High School.

“There are some big names who have won that award, with a number of them having gone on to play in the big leagues,” Prado said. “I have no doubt that he is another winner that will get the same opportunity and make it to the majors following his collegiate career at USF.”